Expectations…

eis

Suddenly we feel that there’s no charm left in life because life is not giving us what we want. We feel left out of place and start dislikingImage ourselves and our lives. Now the question arises that why this syndrome attacks us? Why we feel crest fallen when our hopes fail. The reason is damn simple, we have a lot of expectancy from everywhere and everyone and when the result does not live up to our expectations we face a deadlock and that hurts us to the core.

Alia attended a wedding where she was invited specially, but she was not that happy after she was back. She had expected a VIP treatment because of her cousin’s insistence to attend the wedding, and this brought her down on the harsh ground of reality when she had to enjoy the functions as the other guests. She expected that if she has taken out time from her busy schedule then they must treat her in a grand way in return. How can one expect such things? Here expectations bring anger.

In a cooking contest Riyana participated with her invincible dessert recipe and was cent percent sure of being selected. She was not ready to accept the reality that her recipe was not even in the list of consolations. Since then she lost interest in cooking and felt very small when someone appreciated her cooking. Here expectations lead towards depression.

Many stories can be told but overall the lesson we learn is that why should we go to the others’ 20130311-215657phase. Our zone gives us the liberties of our actions, but reactions from the other zone are not our area, so why should we go beyond that?

How people treat, judge, behave or react should not be expected highly. They are not governed by our minds, they have a free will. Imagine yourself without expectations ….you will surely love the outcome.

A pinch of Pollyannaism-

The more we expect the more we get disturbed on the contradictory results. Fear of failure of expectations holds us back in shackles and takes us nowhere. So……….

images (1)

This post is written for:

Blogging from A-Z Challenge (April 2014)

&  Ultimate Blog Challenge (April 2014)

Picture Courtesy: Google Images

Oh yes, if you expect nothing from anybody, you’re never disappointed!!

Yeah ….this the mantra for a happy life…
      thanks a lot

2. Ananya Kiran says:

This is my weakness, stupid expectations ! It just makes life harder, when u expect.
    I try so much not to expect anything from anyone, but still end up hurting myself.

It shows your love and possessiveness towards others…
      Thanks for such an honest statement….

3. S(t)ri says:

Yeah, when I stopped expecting from others I started enjoying their company.

Stri

Wow…you have hit the bull’s eye!
      I loved your attitude….keep it up!!
      Thanks Sri….

4. Aditi says:

Completely agree, expectations lead to dissapointments! But you know sometimes I feel that we expect only from our people….the ones who mean to us. Who we love no? And what are relationships if there is total detachment and no expectations?

Your question is quite reasonable, but I think if everyone starts accepting instead of expecting…then the scenario will be amazing!
      Thanks aditi…

5. obsessivemom says:

I don’t think that’s even possible for me.. To not expect. When you do something for someone.. Anyone.. With all your heart of course you expect something … Love, recognition, appreciation. How hard it is to not expect! Sigh!

Good….You are right in your own unique way…hope compatibility and harmony are always on our side…Thanks a lot

6. Debbie says:

Intellectually, I know this is the best way, not to expect anything, but, sometimes…..LOL

7. elixired says:

I was going through your article, with which I completely Agree… There is a very popular verse in Sanskrit from Hindu manuscript “Bhagwat-Geeta” which says: “कर्मणयेवाधिकारस्ते मा फलेषु कदाचन।” (You have a right to perform your karma,but you are not entitled to the fruits of those actions). Expectations, attachments leads to disappointments, still for us humans sometimes it is difficult to not to expect or get detached.

8. Carol Graham says:

This is a difficult for me. I always expect the best – both from situations and from people. I usually am disappointed but…..it is the way I am made. Thought provoking post – thank you

9. Rekha says:

Expectations are the root cause of most disappointments. Having no expectations sounds good, but nearly impossible. Isn’t it?

10. precari0us says:

Don’t ecpect , don’t be disappointed. True. And I loved the equation of Disappointment. It made me think about all the times it had come true. Which is most.

– Kripali
    (AJ’s wHooligans)
    Sumptuous Living
    A2ZFiction

11. Dilip says:

A beautiful article which extolls upon the virtues of acceptance rather that expectations! In this context may I quote Michael J. Fox ~ “My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations”.
    Thank you and best wishes always! Cheers 🙂

12. nabanita says:

No expectations equals no disappointment…An ideal state no?

Random Thoughts Naba

13. True! This reminds me of one of my favourite Calvin and Hobbes strips, a conversation between Calvin and Susie.
    Calvin: What grade did you get?
    Susie: I got an ‘A’.
    Calvin:Really? Boy, I’d hate to be you. I got a ‘C’.
    Susie:Why on earth would you rather get a “C’ than an ‘A’?
    Calvin: I find my life is a lot easier the lower I keep everyone’s expectations.

:)) Another take on expectations.

Lovely!
      Interesting another take….teens gonna love this attitude
      Thanks very much

14. meenamenon says:

But can w elead a life with no expectations.. that would make us saadhus who are detached from life rt

15. shivakapoor says:

I identify with this post … From a very early age this thought has stuck with me ..in expectations lie disappointments …

16. SITARA NAIR says:

This should be the one of the basic commandments of life….
    Sadly expectations are always there
    Loved your post