Real Richness

‘I want to be a rich woman!’

This would be my answer when someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. Everyone laughed, but my father never liked this and his face showed the expressions of concernImage.

One day he called me and asked, ‘do you know the meaning of richness?’

‘Having a lot of money…… so that anything could be bought’ I answered quizzically.

‘No…………. richness means to have something ‘valuable’ and that too in ‘abundance…’ his face gleamed.

‘You can be rich even if you have a little amount of money’, I was puzzled

‘There are number of things that are valuable like- breaths, love, honesty, knowledge, health, family, imagesvirtue, blessings….and the list is endless’, he explained.

‘We all are rich in some or the other thing and should be thankful for ‘being so rich…’

These words were a bit heavy for me to grasp completely at that time, still I carried them on with me and then I realized that I’ve been a richest person throughout.

P.S- From the preaching of Maharaji

images (4)

A pinch of Pollyannaism-

Do we help the poor?

So why don’t we help those who are poor in terms of: sharing, forgiving, honesty, love, etc.

This post is written for:

Blogging from A-Z Challenge (April 2014)

&  Ultimate Blog Challenge (April 2014)

Picture Courtesy: Google Images

1. S(t)ri says:

Very thoughtful one!!! Real richness is not monetary!

~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

2. Eli says:

A very wise father you had there… real richness can not be counted in money.. I think counting our blessings every day show us how rich we are. Lovely post:-)

3. Aditi says:

Wise advice by your father!! We should be grateful for the many richness we possess in life!
    Lovely thought in the end – on helping people who are poor in terms of values!

4. Beloo Mehra says:

A really rich post this is! Thanks for writing this, and sharing the wisdom learned from your father.

5. meenamenon says:

wooow! indeed every person s rich at some level… we never realise taht basic truth!

6. Suzy says:

Your dad is a very wise man. And he taught you well. Lovely post.